Confessions of a
Free Spirited Web Artist

The joy and hurdles of my dream job.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

WHAT TO DO?

I had an appointment at 10:00am, as I dashed to the door. I rushed. I was running in a few minutes late. It was wet and cold outside. Darn, I am underdressed again. I could never get used to winter, be it the freezing German winter(-20 degree below 0 celsius) nor the supposedly pleasant californian bay area winter. No matter where I go, I am conditioned to my tropical roots.

As I rang her company's doorbell, no one answers. Now what? I rang again...shivering from my insides. Where the hell is she? I though we had an appointment at 10:00am ?! Okay, it is now 7 minutes after 10:00am, but where is she? I fumbled inside my purse looking for her phone number. I dialed the number....no answer. While I patiently listened to the dial tone, an incoming call intercepted. "Were you trying to call CN? " a voice asked me. "Hey, Art it's me, Ming! I thought I had an appointment with Carmina!" "Isn't she there?" he asked."She should be there shortly, I'll try to locate her whereabouts". "Alright", I said heading for the warmth of my car."I will wait."

Art rang again and apologized for her. "Ming, she had an emergency, and had to run for the hospital. She said she'll call you. I am sorry!" "Yeah, right!" I muttered to myself. A day later, and I have not heard from her yet. It was not the first time she stood me up.

Why should I even care? The company contracted me to do their website and have generously paid me. However, I cannot finish their website because they are too busy to supply me with the info and materials for the web's contents. Or maybe, their website is not in their high priority list! I could do the layout and graphics, but I can't invent their company's profile, services and history from my imagination.

Since I've been paid already, I could not care less, that's their problem! Or so, I thought! But why do I feel bad about it? I feel that I haven't really done a good job, and I have an unfinished website on my end. They failed to produce the content of the web as agreed on our contract.

One webmaster wrote an article about this webmaster's plight and suggested penalizing a client for not submitting the materials. I can't do that!!!

We were warned in school that chasing the web content material is one of the problems encounted by web designers, even if we were doing the website for free.
Should I just stoically shrug off my shoulders and not care? Or should I persistently nag my clients about their obligation on their end? What to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home