Confessions of a
Free Spirited Web Artist

The joy and hurdles of my dream job.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Customer is King

"I got a call from a prospective client, and he said he wanted to meet me for a website, but he added that he did not like any of the sites I built from my portfolio," I shared with Tet, my web mentor and guru. "Well, why did he call me?" I asked perplexed. "Maybe, he just likes you." Tet teased. "No, don't say that." I responded. "Normally, I would say...bug off, if you don't like my design, too bad! Look for someone else! Of course, I got challenged and decided to find out what he wants and meet him."

"It's not about what you like" Tet advised me. "It is what the customer wants". "I know" I confirmed her statement.

"Y'know, once I had a client, " Tet continued. "And I built her this very high tech, fantastic, fabulous website. I really wanted to show off all my skills in this particular website. And my client had it redone to something very simple and very basic. I really felt insulted because the website structure was elementary that it insulted everything I learned in school. But she was happy with the site. That is what matters."

"I know, I upgraded a web client's website too because i was not too crazy about my old work, thinking I had done her a favor. However, she cried and said she wanted the old website back!" I shared."What to do???"

As for the client who did not like my design, I did meet him anyway, and composed a mock-up page for him. He still didn't like my design. Oh well, this time I just let him off the universe. You just can't please everyone. If you know they are going to be difficult from the beginning, it is better to let go while it's still at an early phase, just like in any relationships. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home