Confessions of a
Free Spirited Web Artist

The joy and hurdles of my dream job.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Manage My Website

A couple of clients have asked me if I would manage their websites?! "Sure!" I responded enthusiastically. So I start asking for the necessary details about their website like, "Where did you register your domain name?, I do need your login name and password. What about your webhost? Who is hosting your website?"

"I dont understand", they would reply."What are you talking about?" or "I am confused, what is a webhost and domain? Are they not the same thing?" "I don't know my password nor login name anymore. Where can I find it?" Than they give me a couple of words they think is their login name and password, and I have to test them if it works. "Do you charge a client for solving this crossword puzzle?" I asked myself.

This is just one of my frustrations in my job. I do want to help my clients and walk the extra mile in tracing whoever their domain registrar is... or their webhost.

One client, Irene had her webhost running onsite. "Well, they must have charged you for your monthly fee. Maybe we can start by looking for information in your credit card statement." I suggested. "Well no!" she replied. "They are not charging my credit card, and my webmaster is in Paris, France."

Some clients give me all kinds of information, like their emails and password, even their social security number so I can make sense of it and try to find thier domain registrar. I am sure their domain registrar send them a reminder for domain renewal.Sure enough, I was able to trace a domain registrar by canvassing her spam mail bin.

What to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home